Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Way back When-sday

These pictures are from the same day -- Sept. 10, 1972 -- during a trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. The main one at top is of Stephen (top), Russell and me sitting on the base of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. The lighthouse is part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore. In 1999, the lighthouse was moved 2,870 feet inland to protect it from ongoing beach erosion.

In the picture of us standing by our Ford Country Squire station wagon, we are leaving Hatteras and taking the ferry to Ocracoke Island. I know it sounds strange, but almost 35 years later, I can still remember what the ferry deck felt like beneath my bare feet. Our car with the faux wood trim and luggage carrier on top is like something out of National Lampoon's Vacation.

2 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

I always enjoy your Way back When-sday posts. It's cool to see pics of people from their childhood.

Anonymous said...

I like to see them too but it makes me feel old. I just wonder how many pictures you have taken from my boxes of photographs. I'm glad you have them, at least I see them this way. Those were some good old days. ILY