Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Way Back When-sday



This is a picture of my Mammy (on the right) and Aunt Betty working on a quilt. They used to make quilts all the time. I can remember the bags of cut out pieces of fabric -- squares and triangles and rectangles -- Mammy had at her house. I also remember the closet full of quilts and blankets in the attic room. I used to love staying up in that room in the winter. Those quilts were so comforting to bundle up beneath.

The pattern they are working on in the picture above is called The Hole in the Barn Door, although it also has about 20 different names according to the 11th picture down on the right-hand side of this Web page. There are multiple variations of every pattern, many named something different depending on what part of the country they were made in.

I have a couple of quilts that were made by Mammy and her sisters. One of them I don't use. I'll take pictures of it later. And one of them I use all the time. I wrote about it a few years ago in a column I wrote for a newspaper. If you'd like to read it, click on the picture at right to enlarge it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the piece you wrote about the quilt. Really cool.

Natalie said...

TAG, you're it.

Anonymous said...

nice article