Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Way Back When-sday


The picture at top is me in the eighth grade and I'm leaning over a black case with my clarinet in it. Granddaddy gave me the money for this clarinet. I can't remember if he paid for the whole thing or just part of it, but I do know he gave money for it. At right is a picture I just took of me holding the same clarinet today. I always hoped I'd be able to play it like Benny Goodman. That didn't happen, but I did manage to earn first chair in the band. Maybe I'll buy a new reed for it to see if I can still play it at all.

Anyway, here's a bit of Benny Goodman and Peggy Lee for you to give you an idea of what it should sound like:



Any other closet band geeks out there?

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I play the clarinet too! I still have mine as well. Well, its at my parents house, but its still mine. I too wonder if I could still play like I used to. I played in concert band, pep band, marching band, wind ensemble and symphony orchestra throughout my years in school. I would need to get the corks fixed, and new reeds as well. I never knew you played, thats cool!

Anonymous said...

You've got handsome eyes. I don't usually read blogs, but I was searching for Marilyn Monroe (you were right..). In any case, I give you credit just for desiring to play like Benny Goodman.

Anonymous said...

I played the clarinet too! Too bad I haven't played it in over a decade.