Sunday, March 25, 2007

A question for you ...

What are you now? And what would you be if you were something different?
Have you ever thought about it? Are you doing what you want to be doing or is it a job you started and just never stopped doing? Is it something you went to school for and never had the strength to say, "Ef this. I don't really like this even if I spent four (eight) years of my life learning how to do it." I am a news editor for a daily newspaper. Newspapers aren't really your up and coming hot commodity but there are still plenty of people who read daily papers and look at newspaper Web sites.

I always wanted to be a writer and got my start in this business as a reporter and columnist. I loved it, especially the columnist part. I also took pictures, designed pages, edited stories, made "stop the press calls" and made decisions to do Extra Editions. Although I love newspapers, I got into this because when you want to write, there aren't a lot of steady, daily job choices.

For a while, I wrote all the time. But promotions and choices and other promotions left me in the position of a news editor -- a position in which I write very little. I miss it dearly. So.... If I wasn't a news editor, I would be a writer of short stories. Not novels that can take forever to write, rewrite, edit and publish -- not to mention read. But short stories and collections of short stories. I'd breathe in the air of each day and then put it into words for people to taste and feel.

What are you now?
What would you be if you were something different?

3 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

That's a good question. But one that is difficult to think about, at least for me. I am working at a job I can just tolerate without going mad. What would I like to do? I would love to work with plants. Growing things. Selling flowers and flower baskets. Nature makes me happiest. Why aren't I doing? It doesn't pay, that's why. Sad.

Anonymous said...

Gardening doesn't pay much but it is mentally worth every penny. I love it so much and I get to save all my manicure/pedicure, fancy haircut, nice office clothes money and spend it on plants for my own yard :) Do what makes you happy you'll figure out the money part. Spending more than 8 hours of your waking day at a job you dislike makes for a miserable day.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any short stories you can share?